Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
General will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

Auctionbytes request (Flagged for opinion collection)

Subscribe to Auctionbytes request 30 posts 11 voices

Posted by bcoog, Edenton, NC. 693 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I saw this on auctionbytes a few minutes ago and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this.
Not sure if it will help maybe run it past the guys. The more press the better.

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2010/9/1284739860.html#comments

I love it here and hope to be successful here for many years to come.

Posted by cshort0319, Kingston, NY. 9,663 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Amen! Right on!

Some of My Favorite Things

Posted by Alilbirdy2, Oark, AR Customized Banners,Logos.... 13,244 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I agree, the site owners do need to invest in advertising, and not depend on users to advertise for them.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by loristhisandthat, Colorado. 5,270 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Ditto Alilbirdy!

>>EBay is a PR-generating machine. Where many other marketplaces fall flat on their face is in getting their message out to users. They seem to depend on sellers carrying their message around the Internet. Earth to alternative sites: PR is YOUR responsibility. You can’t expect your users to do all your work for you<<

Posted by PhoenixResale, Fredericksburg, VA. 3,647 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

That is dead on. This is the reason that everyone knows their name. You may not like them, but you know what the web address is. If people don’t know that you are there then they can’t find you.

Phoenix Resale Shop

Posted by shellbysbooth, . 1,374 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

So…hopefully this will grab the attention of the bonz crew that seems to be growing rapidly !

Posted by Alilbirdy2, Oark, AR Customized Banners,Logos.... 13,244 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

It is true word of mouth is the best form of advertising, but that generally refers to a bad reputation or Gossip that is usually not good.

We are two years old, and it is time for some real advertising from the site owners. While many folks spend a lot of time online, we need more than online advertising.

Most folks sit down and watch the TV, to catch up on news, as well as other reasons for sitting in front of the TV. This is where you will reach the majority of the population around the world or nation wide.

It is time to invest in some Real Advertising to get the word out that this site is a very viable market place to buy and sell on.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by joangranite, Staten Island, New York. 1,204 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

It has always been my belief that it is the Owners responsibility to Advertise. It is their business whether it is a store or a website.

We as members have done a lot of advertising, and it has helped this site to grow. It is time for the guys to do some major advertising too. We are two years old so it is time.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by joangranite, Staten Island, New York. 1,204 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I remember when Ebay did the Major Advertising Blitz on TV a few years ago.

That really got their name out to the public.

Yes it did, and it would for us too.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by shellbysbooth, . 1,374 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Making a 15 second video for internet only might be cheaper. You know the ones that show up before you watch a snippet of a news video on the big news sites… like msnbc or abc for example.

We have done plenty of Internet Advertising, now it is time for other forms of Media Advertising.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by PhoenixResale, Fredericksburg, VA. 3,647 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I agree, it is time to start targeting the people who don’t live online (like we do, LOL). There are plenty of people out there that would never see an online ad but would check out the site if they saw it in more traditional advertising (i.e. print, radio, tv).

Phoenix Resale Shop

Advertising in Print and TV is the way to really get the name out.

I completely agree with Pheonix – people just don’t spend that much time on their computers like we do – They go to sites that they know or have seen an Ad about.

Posted by cshort0319, Kingston, NY. 9,663 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Possibly the most effective way of using money is to target specific markets — I learned about this in my social marketing courses.

If, for example, you are pushing guy stuff, you use magazines that guys read,

If you are targeting women, you use women’s magazines.

If you are targeting stuff for children and babies, you target mom’s magazines.

Antiques and collectibles — same thing. Find the venue that attracts people who buy these items.

This is not to say that you wouldn’t also do a general marketing campaign, believe me.

If we were ever able to afford television advertising on major networks, we would target out advertising depending on what program we were advertising on.

Just a few random thoughts for long-range planning……

Carolyn

Some of My Favorite Things

Posted by bogcandle, OR. 4,138 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I am so pleased the Steiners wrote that article. So many sellers here have worn out their fingers tweeting, blogging, facebooking, and organizing events like the block party. It is a heck of a lot of work for very little in return. I realize advertising is expensive but too often going out of business is the alternative.

Handing out business cards, flyers, etc. and telling everyone you know about Bonanzle doesn’t get us very far. Hopefully that article will wake up some site owners … and it isn’t just Bonanzle. eCrater, Etsy, ArtFire, etc. all have the same problem.

Great thoughts Carolyn. That is how you get your name reconized and target Buyers.

Posted by GreenMtnCollectibles, NJ. 655 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I haven’t been around very much lately. Seems to me I remember the Boyz saying something about an advertising campaign of some sort. What ever happened to that? Or did I just imagine it?

Someone once told me this saying “To Make Money, You Have To Spend Money”.

GreenMtn, you did not imagine it, since I remember it also. I think it was about 6 months ago.

Thanks Joan. That makes me feel better. I thought I was imagining things there for a second. I wonder what happened to that?

Their Marketing campaign, ended up being some ad words with google I believe.
While that was good, it was not a Major Campaign nor would it have ever targeted as many people as a TV Ad would have done.

Digital Designs and More

There is nothing like a Major TV Campaign – that really gets the word out.

Especially with the new Fall TV Shows starting this week – so many viewers would see the Bonanzle Name.

Posted by bogcandle, OR. 4,138 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Someone commented that only 30 or 40 people showed up for the Bonanzle event in Kansas City. Is that true? I wasn’t there so don’t know.

Some of the good folks who have purchased from me did so because they followed a specific item to my booth from Google. One customer I had a discussion with via e-mail said that she would come back to buy from me, but it never dawned on her to come to the SITE to browse and shop. That’s what e-bay was for. Now how do we change an attitude like that?

Gee Bogcandle, I don’t know, I was not there either.

Posted by RayvensRarities, In the middle of the state of, Oregon. 16,332 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Members at all the alternate sites have been saying this for years.

This is the biggest reason EBay IS the most well known on the internet. They actually put money into advertising their site and didn’t play around about it.

We as members can only do so much. If the site wants to get more well known, as Auctionbytes said, they need to do a LOT more in the way of PR and advertising. Period

Posted by bonanzamark, Seattle, WA. 3,564 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Interesting blog, we always enjoy both Ina and David’s articles as well as the rest of the Auctionbytes team. So that we can make sure to hear all of your voices we will collect opinions on this topic. Thanks for your support!

I don’t know how many showed up, I wasn’t there either.

I would hate to see this site fold, because the owners did not take advertising seriously. I have seen other sites that really looked promising the first couple of years, end up folding because of that very thing. They would not spend the $$ it needed to make the site well known.

You can only go so far till you have to do one or the other, Advertise or fold as folks will become restless waiting on the traffic to show.

As bad as it sounds, while ebay has the $$ to advertise, they are drawing traffic, and the little guys like us, may end up having to crawl back to that site to make decent sales. I hope I never have to do that !

Digital Designs and More
Spinner

Minimum 6 characters; at least one number and one capital letter

By creating an account, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

New to Bonanza? Sign up to save items, follow sellers and get exclusive coupons.

Don't worry - Bonanza respects your inbox. We send less email and make it easy to opt out. Read our privacy policy »