x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
General will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

What does Camp-tastic mean?

Subscribe to What does Camp-tastic mean? 56 posts 25 voices

Page
< 1 2

Posted by zanderbooks, Great Books!, USA. 966 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Posted by purpleiris, Houston, TX. 13,332 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Charlie Chan and Alfred Hitchcock were both tagged as camp-tastic. I’ve never heard of the term before. I always go with “cheesy” instead. LOL I don’t know if I want to have an item tagged as something that relates to cheesy. LOL

Thanks everyone!

Posted by ilovecrystals, Belfair, WA. 2,354 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Now common PurpleIris…When you were a kid camping didn’t you tell scary stories around the campfire which is what Alfred Hitchcock was all about. “Camptasticly scary” Did I spell that right? {{{Yikes}}} and what about playing charades with the family? “Charlie Chan” Camptastically silly and I have to admitt a whole lot, “cheesy.” lol

Posted by rapidreader, Memphis, TN. 574 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I have to agree with Zanderbooks, the tags for books are seriously lacking relevence to the types of books available, and could use a major revamp.

My mom wasn’t into the outdoors, except for my sister’s and my sporting events (we were a couple of tomboys). So we never went camping when I was growing up. I did go day-camping once with my Blue Birds group — I think I was in 1st grade — but we didn’t spend the night. It was a summer camp that we only spent the day at for a couple/few weeks. I always wondered why we didn’t just stay there. LOL

So, I’ve only been camping as an adult and telling scary stories around the fire has never been on the list of fun things to do. LOL Plus, we usually had two young children with us who would totally freak if we did that. LOL They loved camping and we wanted it to stay that way.

Posted by CCLgeneralstore, Keysville, VA. 2,599 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I would think of any book you might read while camping or tell around the campfire at night.. The tags can mean so many different things to different people in different areas of the world. I usually accpet unless it is totally wrong. People get hurt by not having tags accepted, you would not get in trouble by accepting a tag that might not be right. I used to love to tag, and did it everyday but so many people are panicing over tags. It is desinged for you to get other opions other than yours. Like some people might put something on display that you never would. Does it mean your right and they are wrong ? no it is just another idea what you can do with that item…. I am with you with book tags. I try to avoid tagging those if at all possible. None of them are good usually

I’d say I accept 98-99% of the tags that are suggested. However, if I don’t know what it means, it’s something that doesn’t apply to my item, or it’s not something I want to be related to my item, then I won’t approve it. If you accept the wrong tags, it COULD hurt the impression you’re trying to give customers of an item to encourage them to buy.

Posted by ilovecrystals, Belfair, WA. 2,354 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Okay…The question I have, “Does the tags have anything to do with how people find us in the search engines?”

Nope…just Bonz search. You’ll see the tags given as sorting options there.

Posted by froggieb, Chamberlain, SD. 5,240 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I don’t think that Campy is a new term at all, just probably not used commonly. Yes, much of the old comedy and stap-stick was considered Camp! I can recall hearing things termed as campy when I was much, much younger and that’s some time ago!

Some of the earliest camp were shows like Ziegfeld Follies, Charlie Chapman, and the Keystone Cops. Camp has been vogue for over a century!

Per wikipedia:
Camp is an aesthetic sensibility that regards something as appealing or humorous because of its deliberate ridiculousness.1 The concept is closely related to kitsch, and things with camp appeal may also be described as being “cheesy”. When the usage appeared, in 1909, it denoted: ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical, and effeminate behaviour, and, by the middle of the 1970s, the definition comprised: banality, artifice, mediocrity, and ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal.2 American writer Susan Sontag’s essay Notes on “Camp” (1964) emphasised its key elements as: artifice, frivolity, naïve middle-class pretentiousness, and ‘shocking’ excess. Camp as an aesthetic has been popular from the 1960s to the present.

Camp films were popularised by filmmakers George and Mike Kuchar, Andy Warhol, and John Waters, including the latter’s Pink Flamingos, Hairspray and Polyester. Celebrities that are associated with camp personas include drag queens and performers such as Dame Edna Everage, Divine, RuPaul, and Liberace. Camp was a part of the anti-academic defense of popular culture in the 1960s and gained popularity in the 1980s with the widespread adoption of postmodern views on art and culture.

FroggieB's Treasures

Posted by itsrainingbooks, CA. 296 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I am finding this conversation very amusing. I had no idea so many people had never heard the term “campy” before. I am definitely not one of the young-uns but this term has been around for a long time.

@divine
Haha…when you said “Camp-tastic, well that’s sort of like Divine but more on a Human Level, right?”, I thought you were referring to the actor Divine, who is known for starring in several John Waters movies, many of which are well-known for being “campy”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_(actor)

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Maybe it was common where some of you grew up. Regional use of words can make something common in one area and not in another. I’ve never seen it in print and never heard it spoken.

For instance today: I asked the boss if he knew what he did with the paperwork for his car tabs. He had no idea what car tabs are. He grew up in CT, they call them something else there. He thought I was nuts and I thought he had just crawled out from under a rock! Laughingly we joked with each other about regional terminology. My brother-in-law in Kansas says “twern’t”.

G's New-N-Used

Posted by PetsMisc, . 535 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

@CCL, you would not get in trouble by accepting a tag that might not be right. I used to love to tag

So many taggers suspended for “Too many tags not Accepted” that it is NOT fun at all. Bonz does monitor whether tag is acceptable 3 tokens spent to suggest a tag which has subsequently been removed. Jun 30

PetsMisc's booth

Posted by itsrainingbooks, CA. 296 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Well, I don’t really think “campy” is a regional thing. It’s probably not a word you would use in normal conversation. I usually hear it spoken on tv when the topic is movies or movie reviews.

Looks like I’m your neighbor, by the way. And what are “car tabs”?

Car tabs have been car tabs since I bought first car and that was in the Midwest, so what on earth are they called?
@itsrainingbooks’ booth might not own a car

PetsMisc's booth

What the heck is a car tab? LOL

That’s when the red light (blue light) comes on behind you, pulls you over and says tabs are expired I would not recommend asking that person “What are car tabs” LOL

PetsMisc's booth

Posted by cshort0319, Kingston, NY. 6,697 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

About looking up the meaning of a tag. With all due respect, I don’t think we should have to go to the dictionary to find out what a tag MIGHT mean.

The concept that some people “get” it and some people don’t “get” it is, I feel, exclusionary.

Like when you go to a meeting or a conference, and all the speakers are using acronyms and technical terms, and the audience doesn’t have a clue what the speakers are talking about!

Carolyn

Some of My Favorite Things

@Pets…Oooohhh…you mean car TAGS. LOL

@Carolyn…I agree. If I don’t know what it means, it will get denied if suggested. As was the case with camp-tastic. Now that I know what it means (cheesy, to me), I doubt I’ll be accepting it. While I’m pretty liberal with accepting tag suggestions, if it doesn’t apply to my item or isn’t something I want associated with my item, then it will get denied.

Posted by CindyBear, MHC, N Carolina. 8,028 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Sorry…but I think folks are confusing 2 different things

Camp-tastic——fantastic-fun things to do at or take to camp..whether it be reading good, spooky or silly stories..watching campy or scary movies, going white water rafting, tubing, canoeing, setting up a really cool tent…or what ever

Campy-funny, humorous frivolity, ridiculous…like froggie says above

Meatballs is a campy movie about Summer camp and would be camp-tastic (substitute word fun if you want) to watch on movie night at camp.

this is the way the kids at my son’s camp thought of it anyway!

CindyBear's Den

So it doesn’t mean cheesy? LOL Although, when I think of camping, it’s in a tent by a big campfire and with NO electricity. LOL So, to me, camp-tastic still doesn’t apply since I can’t very well play a DVD without electricity.

Posted by ccmom, MHC, N Carolina. 4,883 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

@Iris…thinking more along these lines of camp-tastic…and by the way all these kids are high functioning ASD…of which he ← is one

They had a camp-tastic time

It's Your Turn

Posted by Trublu, Geneva, IN. 822 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

CCmom , ASD as in Atrial Septal Defect?? My grandson has that.It limits him very little thank the Lord.:)

Im from the Midwest (Indiana) and the word “Camp” has been around forever BUT little used except by movie buffs and TV move reviewers. To me its basically a stereotype in a movie or book thats just waaay over the top and over exaggerated, or over reacting so as to be funny, a parody if you will and poking fun at people, characters, or situations.

“Hokey” is another word for “Camp”

Like was said, the original “Batman” TV show and the original “Star Trek” with Spock and Captain Kirk are considered “campy”. In movies, “Spaceballs” and certainly "the Rocky Hororo Picture Show’ tops the list.

“Car Tabs”?? Never heard em called that personally. “Car Tags” equals License Plates

Course around here we pronounce Xerox “Zeerox” and Motorcycle is “Motorsickle” , and of course we “warsh” our clothes in the “warshing machine” and any sodas are just “pop”

Blu's Place

Posted by acharacter4u2, Charlotte, N Carolina. 1,006 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I thought camptastic meant a great story to tell when you are out camping. Oh well

Posted by loves_birds, Lost In An Indiana Corn Field, IN. 1,118 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Fantastically campy. lol

Another Time Another Place

Actually, down in Texas, “tags” refers to the auto registration sticker. It’s also used for license plates sometimes, but that’s mainly because we used to put our stickers on our plates. Now they’re on the inside of the windshield, which keeps peeps from stealing your tags. That used to be a major problem here until they moved them to the windshield next to the inspection sticker.

Anywho, I guess I should start accepting camp-tastic as a tag for those movies. Now that I know what it means and that it’s an applicable term, I feel more comfortable with accepting it.

Thanks, everyone!

Page
< 1 2