x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
General will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

Will you lose your internet connection on Mon. 7/9/12?(Time is rapidly running out)

Subscribe to Will you lose your internet connection on Mon. 7/9/12?(Time is rapidly running out) 27 posts 21 voices

Posted by reksplace, Quachita Mtn's, Arkansas. 1,049 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday
Associated PressBy LOLITA C. BALDOR | Associated Press – 1 hr 23 mins ago

Email Print

Related Content

FILE – This undated handout image provided by The DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG) shows the webpage resulting from not having the DNS malware. It will only take a few clicks of the mouse. But for hundreds of thousands of computer users, those clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing their connections. Tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday July 9, 2012 unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago. (AP Photo/DNC Changer Working Group, FILE ) FILE – This undated handout image …

WASHINGTON (AP) — Despite repeated alerts, tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.

The warnings about the Internet problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google. Internet service providers have sent notices, and the FBI set up a special website.

According to the FBI, the number of computers that probably are infected is more than 277,000 worldwide, down from about 360,000 in April. About 64,000 still-infected computers are probably in the United States.

The Canadian Internet Registration Authority said about 25,000 of the computers initially affected by the malware were in Canada, but now only about 7,000 machines remain infected there, according to Canadian Internet Registration Authority spokesman Mark Buell.

He said his organization, together with Public Safety Canada and the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission, has developed an online site where computer users can check their computers for the malware.

People whose computers are still infected Monday will lose their ability to go online, and they will have to call their service providers for help deleting the malware and reconnecting to the Internet.

The problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of more than 570,000 infected computers around the world. When the FBI went in to take down the hackers late last year, agents realized that if they turned off the malicious servers being used to control the computers, all the victims would lose their Internet service.

In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net. They brought in a private company to install two clean Internet servers to take over for the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose their Internet.

And while it was the first time they’d done something like that, FBI officials acknowledged that it may not be the last, since authorities are taking on more of these types of investigations.

The temporary Internet system they set up, however, will be shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday, July 9.

Most victims don’t even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their online surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

But popular social networking sites and Internet providers have gotten more involved, reaching out to computer users to warn of the problem.

According to Tom Grasso, an FBI supervisory special agent, many Internet providers are ready for the problem and have plans to try to help their customers. Some, such as Comcast, already have reached out.

The company sent out notices and posted information on its website. Because the company can tell whether there is a problem with a customer’s Internet server, Comcast sent an email, letter or Internet notice to customers whose computers appeared to be affected.

Grasso said other Internet providers may come up with technical solutions that they will put in place Monday that will either correct the problem or provide information to customers when they call to say their Internet isn’t working. If the Internet providers correct the server problem, the Internet will work, but the malware will remain on victims’ computers and could pose future problems.

In addition to individual computer owners, about 50 Fortune 500 companies are still infected, Grasso said.

Both Facebook and Google created their own warning messages that showed up if someone using either site appeared to have an infected computer. Facebook users would get a message that says, “Your computer or network might be infected,” along with a link that users can click for more information.

Google users got a similar message, displayed at the top of a Google search results page. It also provides information on correcting the problem.

To check whether a computer is infected, users can visit a website run by the group brought in by the FBI: http://www.dcwg.org .

The site includes links to respected commercial sites that will run a quick check on the computer, and it also lays out detailed instructions if users want to actually check the computer themselves.

Associated Press writer Charmaine Noronha in Toronto contributed to this report.

Online:

To check and clean computers: http://www.dcwg.org

Canadian websites: http://www.dns-ok.ca/

Comcast Warning: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/DNS-Changer-Bot-FAQ/td-p/1215341

Google: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2012/05/notifying-users-affected-by-dnschanger.html

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/notifying-dnschanger-victims/10150833689760766

Rek's place

Posted by CollectMisc, Tacoma, WA. 1,214 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Posted by Sheenys-Shack, Muskogee, OK, Vintage Collectibles & More. 1,966 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

My three grown kids, their spouses, all their friends, lots of relatives scattered across the US (some being IT nerds) who travel the world working on companies’ computers, and they’re all on Facebook; and this is the first I heard of this malware.

As serious as it sounds, I have to wonder, what with the FBI involved, why it’s not been beaten to death on the nightly news, newspapers, etc. I haven’t heard from my ISP.

“*. . unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.* More than a year ago!

Google’s statement is dated May 22, 2012, with no means of sharing other than Google+.

The FBI article is dated Nov. 9, 2011 and has only been tweeted 9 times and 16 via Facebook.

Seems no one took them serious or they didn’t want all the attention in the first place. And now you only have this small window to have your computer checked out.

Now I can imagine, like the lottery, it’s only 64,000 in the US, but what if I’m one of them. Millions are probably going to that site and allowing the FBI access to their computers. I’m not talking about the access you can give to someone to help solve a problem.

Can a program find a malware or virus buried somewhere in a computer without having access?

Posted by Ms_Prissys_Patterns, Rantoul, IL. 1,788 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

If you run Malwarebytes, it should take care of it. The problem comes in when people don’t have antivirus on their computer and never update it if they do.

Ms Prissys Patterns

Posted by loneelk, Williamsburg, NM. 3,913 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I heard about this somewhere a few months ago, and did what I needed to to check my computer—it says I’ll be fine! I hope so!

Lone Elk's Lodge

Posted by CCLgeneralstore, Keysville, VA. 2,599 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

tested mine says fine..

Posted by ilovecrystals, Belfair, WA. 2,354 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Thank you for putting this up so that the Bonanza folks can make sure they are fine.

I had read of this off and on in the news for quite some time and checked my computers when it was first in the news and checked out fine.

Posted by mediasmedia, Sioux City, IA. 117 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I’m glad that I only had this laptop since the end of May 2012.

Posted by OutdoorMisc, Tacoma, WA. 343 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

@media, and did you transfer anything from your old computer?

Just go to http://www.dcwg.org
No signin, its one click and you can sleep well tonight

OutdoorMisc's booth

Posted by mediasmedia, Sioux City, IA. 117 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

No. It’s in the basement and I redownloaded everything.

Posted by nelliekellie, CA. 17,360 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Mine is fine! Thanks for bringing this up for people to check!

Nellie's Goodies

Posted by AnimePagoda, Florida. 7,466 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

mine are also fine

Posted by nutz4bookznstuff, IL. 5,823 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

@rek…just a note that date in thread title is wrong

Thanks for sharing…it hasn’t been publicized very well…I checked mine several months ago when I first heard of it on the local news

Posted by reksplace, Quachita Mtn's, Arkansas. 1,049 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Thank you Nutz

Rek's place

Posted by CoinsYouWant, Salinas, CA. 1,640 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

things that make you go Hummm!!

CoinsYouWant

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

It was on the news all day long yesterday. Everyone is a “Last Minute Louie” these days so I am not surprised it’s been ignorned for so long.

Posted by AutumnLeaves, Warren, MI. 3,719 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Green here and glad

Posted by gramagrama, Sharon, PA. 3,121 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I won’t lose mine I’m Clean!
This was in our Local paper in April with links to check if your computer was okay!

gramagrama's booth

Posted by CaseLotMisc, From the state of, CA. 704 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Posted by lynnestreasures, Castlegar, Canada. 2,858 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

The numbers read to me from my Mom in the Vancouver Sun this morning sound crazy to me – 300,000 in US, India and Italy and 9,000 in Canada. Was she reading them wrong. Those sound like such a small percentage of possible affected computers that I can’t imaging what all the hoopla is about. Is a backdoor being hidden in those computers that go to the recommended site to check if you’re one of them? I don’t know but I think I’ll take my chances with my computer.

Posted by PlushHotel, Nanaimo, Canada. 761 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I am with you Lynne. I read somewhere in a forum Canada was down to 1700 possibles ? who knowns. As to being knocked of my internet I don’t think so, if anything my computer shuts down on me and politely tells me its for my own good as to not damage my computer if anything gets nosey. I too think its allot to do about nothing but we shall see who is on come Monday Morning.

Plush Hotel

Posted by Ms_Prissys_Patterns, Rantoul, IL. 1,788 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

It will be interesting to compare to the “Millennium Crisis” .

Ms Prissys Patterns

Posted by lynnestreasures, Castlegar, Canada. 2,858 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

Maybe they’re just trying to keep people’s minds off the heat.

With more stress.

Ms Prissys Patterns

Posted by RayvensRarities, In the middle of the state of, Oregon. 16,332 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

I’m all checked out and am good to go

RAYVEN'S RARITIES'

Posted by karoden, Springfield, MO. 2,102 total posts | Posted over 2 years ago

For any who may not have checked their computer out Yahoo has a News item up that gives you several url’s where you can easily check your computer out.
mine checks out OK so I have my fingers crossed.

Karoden's Vintage Post Cards

My Original Post lists a few different
sites you can use to check your machine out.

Do not forget. You only have until Midnight EDT

Rek's place