x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
General will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

they wont hurt you.....is a LIE, a big fat, lie!!!

Subscribe to they wont hurt you.....is a LIE, a big fat, lie!!! 60 posts 21 voices

Page
1 2 >
Posted by HuckleberryBumpkin, Sagle, ID. 2,556 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Was at my moms sitting in the shade of a big cedar tree enjoying the day. With our wet spring the skeeters are blood thirsty and swarming like kids to a dessert table. I felt a sharp sting to my ankle, looked down to smack that skeeter a good one and OH MY GULLY GOLLY GRACIOUS GERTY you wouldn’t believe what was ripping a chunk out of my flesh. Okay, a little dramatic I know but man alive it was painful…back to it..it was a DADDY LONG LEGS!!! Don’t even go thinking to yourself that their teeth are too small to bite. And no, they do not have the deadliest venom either, forget what your mom told you too “they won’t hurt you” is a LIE And a big fat one at that because it hurts and I mean HURTS!!! Good thing my phone is a smart phone because after the screaming, flailing, chicken dancing subsided, my mom, my Hubby, two uncles and an aunt and I gathered around my generous 3×4 inch screen and read everything Google, yahoo, and Bing could tell us about daddy long legs. Four hours later it still hurts. A red blotchy, hit rash is appearing sound my knee and is about 15 inches long and 6 inches wide. The site where ankle meets leg is still oozing blood hot and red oh and did I mention HURTS. A stinging burning itchy sort of hurt! Bennadryl is down the hatch, and now we are waiting to see what’s next. I am sure I am going to die…so please leave your final goodbyes, send gifts, flowers and sentiments…and never ever again tell your children not to worry, he wont bother you because the teeth are to small to bite!!!

Posted by xxxIJPickers, PA. 615 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

OWWW! If it continues to hurt like that maybe you should get medical attention! I knew Daddy Long Legs bit, but I didn’t think they bit that bad!
I hope you feel better soon! Would applying some ice help?

Posted by HuckleberryBumpkin, Sagle, ID. 2,556 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Ijp, I have ice at the bite and cold rag on the rash. I am very unlucky and allergic to many things…so allergic I carry epi pens at all times…perhaps my reaction is because of my dumb over reactive body since I also have 2 auto immune diseases. A whisky and a pain pill would go a long ways but having a bun in the oven renders that fix kaput!!

Posted by rockstar1998, Oradea, Romania. 48 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

get Prednison…(prednisolonum)…anti-inflamatory non steroid drud (steroid…about body steroids…we do secret them…not those you buy to get bigger for bodybuilding..)..or loratatine…(loratadinum..another very very good anti inflamatory non steroid drug)

Posted by canacreations, Calgary, Canada. 2,494 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Gosh….Now I have to read up on them…They keep coming in one of our windows…

Allergic to steroids and antibiotics…and pregnant! Egads!!!

ugh, you do have an issue there! I would just keep the ice on it for now. If it doesn’t feel better, see your doctor! Or go to the emergency room. With those three issues, don’t mess around. Get help.

Yes! No messing around! My mom was ready to call 911 but I think more because they were remodeling her kitchen windows and the sun was baking down on them and she figured it would be a perfect way to get a break. I live 3 blocks from the hospital, and my neighbor is a nurse…so if I can I will ride it out. We drew lines around the rash to see how much it spreads and keep checking my temp, breathi.g and heart rate….but regardless, I am gonna be on national news you guys can say I knew that girl when the headline reads “beautiful young mom, pregnant, fought life threatening illness just to become first person to die from daddy long leg”

I see a movie here……….

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Oh Huck! Just what you didn’t need. Glad you are that close to the hospital, you should call and warn them you may come in and with what. You are small town up there and they may need to “fly” something special over from Spokane for you.

G's New-N-Used

Posted by froggieb, Chamberlain, SD. 5,240 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Oh Huck! So sorry! Love your way with words tho! I too am very allergic to most insect bites and have read that some ppl are very allergic to the daddy long legs bite. I remember suffering their bites as a kid playing around my grandparents place in the woods.

What always works for me is to use cold compresses soaked in Domeboro solution. In fact, I won’t go anywhere without having packets of domeboro with me. Bees, spiders, yellowjackets, and whatever else and I swell like a balloon unless I apply the compress right away! Do hope you don’t have a sever reaction!

FroggieB's Treasures

It may not hurt to just call them and ask them their opinion.

Posted by jsgeare, Whitehall VA 22987, VA. 8,255 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Well, if a daddy long legs (aka “harvestman”) kills you, it will be the first example in medical history. Given that they have no venom, nor any glands to hold or secrete venom, nor any fangs or teeth, the idea of a poisonous bite is remote.

That said, there are two kinds of spiders which may be easily confused with the daddy: Pholcus phalangioides (“cellar” siders) and holocnemus pluchei, which is a variant of Pholcus. These are the genuine article, complete with fangs, venom, and all the rest. These do have venom, but it is quite mild. Nonetheless, if you are allergic, you very well may experience a stinging, burning sensation. Even if you are NOT allergic, you might feel an irritating burning spot.

To positively identify the culprit, you have to get up really close, something you’d prefer not to do. Same deal as venomous snakes in the US; if they have slit pupils (like a cat) they are always poisonous; if they have round pupils, they are not, EXCEPT for the coral snake, whose domain is the southeast US. But who wants to get close enough to scope out the snake eyes? I would, because I’m comfortable with snakes, but few others are so easy going.

So, we have the possibility that you were bitten by a spider sometimes called a daddy long legs, because it looks like one upon casual examination, but it is not. The real deal has a pill shaped body with no apparent division for head and body; the spider kind has a discernible head and body. That seems most probable, to me.

But there is another interesting possibility: the Daddy eats other bugs that CAN bite and leave a nasty welt or a rash; fleas, in particular. The flea bite itself is relatively harmless – it is the bacteria in the saliva of a flea that does the damage. And, I do mean damage: the initial itching, stinging welt at the bite, then more outbreaks close by, as the bacteria travels on you, or in you, to create yet more havoc. If the welts appear in groups of 3 (give or take) then suspect the bite of a flea. Trust me, I know.

It is entirely possible you’ve been exposed to fleas, but don’t know it. The location on your lower body (your knee) is suggestive; and if you were near a pet, or had one jump up on you, that’s even more suggestive.

The daddy will feast on fleas and gnats. Therefore, the presence of the DLL on your leg may tell you that you were really a host for fleas or other such critters (including chiggers). You may have seen the DLL, but actually been assaulted by something else.

The treatment you are using – benadryl (diphenhydramine) – is reasonable. But the idea that the daddy long legs is at fault has no basis in medical fact or otherwise. Chances are you will not die from the contact. That said, it will be most interesting to learn what your health provider says.

You will recover, and be just fine.

Um,@gsgeare You wouldn’t happen to be Gill Grisom by any chance?

We did and two urgent cares all of which said the same rhetoric that they cant bite, have toxic venom that’s deadly…but that they couldn’t give any advice over the phone…. The good news JG is our towns population tripled in less than two years and we now have a competent medical hospital…even better now in many aspects than Coeur D’ Alenes!

Froggie, bugs are awful. Js after much reading those facts you talk are closer to theories because most authorities have much differing opinions! We read all three pages on yahoo, Bing and Google! It was the spider biting me because after smashing, we had to pry its fat smooshed body from my flesh..well not pry per say but give tug to… I will look for the bug bite stuff froggie when we get to a pharmacy since me being so sweet and all has critters thinking I am a cafeteria!

Posted by Trublu, Geneva, IN. 822 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago
Huckleberry are you positive that was a Daddy long Legs?? It almost sounds like a Brown Recluse bite.

If it continues to get Redder (spreading) and hurting Id get to a Hospital kiddo.

Hope its all OK.

Blu's Place

And I an sure I will not recover. I am eating chicken strips, French fries, and all sorts of other fried, horribly tummy foods and washing it down with a marshmellow huckleberry milkshake…eat drink be merry for tomorrow I die!!!

Posted by jsgeare, Whitehall VA 22987, VA. 8,255 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

There is no rhetoric, here. There IS a possibility that you were bitten by a spider which you improperly identified as a daddy, because it looked like one, to you. The only way to know for sure is to produce the assailant, and examine it for fangs, venom sacs, etc. If you find any of these, then by definition you were NOT bitten by a daddy long legs.

Of course it is always possible that there IS a daddy which has mutated into a venomous creature armed with fangs, or else an undiscovered daddy who has always had the equipment but hasn’t appeared until just now. All that is possible. We would need to capture the one who bit you to verify this.

Short of that, it would be imprudent, I think, to proclaim widely that all daddy long legs are harmful. There simply is no science nor medical history to support the idea. In all my years, I have freely allowed them to crawl on me and enjoyed the little tickle of their long legs. And never suffered on account of it.

Trublu…many of the 3000 or so sites we read today said the daddy long megs and brown recluse have the same toxin. I have always heard we do not have brown recluse here in Idaho…but am learning not to believe everything I hear!!!

And another thing: I would not wait until a bug bite to consume chicken strips, fries and marshmallow milkshakes. I would be pleased to have all those right now!

We are to understand, Huck, that you have read 3000 sites today? I have the feeling that I am the one who has been bitten.

Posted by the_seller_inc, Miami, FL. 7,360 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

You really have to have that checked. I had a friend that got bit by a spider (brown) and it grew and got raw. They finally had a put a drain in his leg and he struggled with this for months.

the_seller_inc's booth

Posted by newriverone, New River, AZ. 4,950 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Ugh! Sounds awful, Huck! Hope it turns out to be nothing! In any case, enjoy the fried yummies!!

NewRiverOne

Well, we are speed readers..and quite possibly it was closer to 4000 websites. Like I said it was hot baking sun and mom was bent on getting out of work. Many sites did explain different areas of the us refer to different species as daddy long legs and much is said about what really is a “true” daddy long legs. And judging by the size I am beginning to think it was a Grand daddy long legs. I remember it as six or seven inches across tho Hubby happens to think it was closer to only an inch and a half. Myth busters also did a full episode on them..we watched a good portion of it via YouTube …regardless..it was a fat round leggy spider we call daddy ling legs who ripped a hunk of flesh from my pregnant body while trying to annihilate our species so it could carry out an evil world domination plot and I am surely going to die a slow horribly painful death but my ray of hope lies in hallmark or lifetime making a poorly acted over dramatic story loosely based on me!!

Posted by newriverone, New River, AZ. 4,950 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

lol Huck! You do have a way with a story!

NewRiverOne

Posted by sofyblu2, Fraser,MI, The best of the best!. 14,089 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

lol Huck I so sympathize. That’s all everyone ever chided me abt. Daddy’s don’t bite. You’re over-reacting. Over-reacting my *&^%. Have one go in your shirt and chomp down on a boobette! Threw my shirt off and was making a beeline for the house! They HURT!!

sofyblu2

Sofy did it ooze, puff up and then get a wierd rash that burns and stings a ways away from the bite??? I know I have awful reactions to most bugs and wondering if my haywire immune system is freaking out or if this is just a typical reaction. In all seriousness and dying aside its not getting much worse, and I won’t be jeopardizing my little bun in the oven, remember guys I have had 11 hospital stays in the last calendar year, the shortest if which was 7 days… I have learned much about what it serious medically speaking and am being careful to monitor my symptoms!

Posted by AntiquesRGreat, Arlington Heights, Illinois. 15,934 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

boobette? Is that even a word?

AntiquesRGreat

Posted by Trublu, Geneva, IN. 822 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

MY kinda spider!! LOL

Blu's Place
Page
1 2 >