x

Just letting you know...

Bonanza's official response to this topic was posted by bharding on 08/15/12 and can be read here.
x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
About Bonanza will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

Bonanza paying for Google Product search

Subscribe to Bonanza paying for Google Product search 126 posts 42 voices

Page
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Posted by UknowUneedAnother, NY. 1,253 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Wouldn’t a candle peg fit into the little cube priotity box and weigh in at a pound?

I’ve also learned the trick of cutting the inner flaps of these boxes to shave a bit of weight off the entire package.

trust me, I know the woes of shipping glass. The bulk of my stuff is breakables. Plus, I self insure, so IF there is a problem, I just deal with it without creating time lags for an already unhappy customer. I’ve read insurance requirements and IF I followed those to the letter, my shipping costs would be astronomical.

I do recycle boxes when I can and bring that up in my policies. My whole approach is to ship as safely and economically as possible.

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,820 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Peg Votives, as the example, come in many sizes and weights. Some are very dainty and lightweight, others much bigger and very heavy. It is also typical to sell more than one of these in a transaction.

There is no way I would ever be able to use a fixed rate option just to make them show up a little cheaper on GPS. That would end up effecting the remaining 1800 items that I already have at fixed rate shipping because they do weigh less than 13 ounces, and multiples add dimes to the weight of the package, where as these holders can cause the weight to double, and the fee to be several dollars more.

The point is, we shouldn’t have to. Google should just get their programmers to figure out how to reconcile all this data they are receiving and make it show the way it is supposed to. I said it several months ago, I will not change my shipping process to accomodate them and their inability to get everyone set up in GPS with Calculated shipping by all regions. Not just Hawaii… It should be the other way around. A booth as diverse as mine is does not have the same luxury as smaller niche booth sellers have. One size DOES NOT fit all.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by purpleiris, Houston, TX. 13,332 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

JS said, “calculated shipping puts a buyer through an extra step, and I think this has a negative impact on sales.”

I have to disagree with this because, ever since I switched a good portion of my listings to calculated, sales have risen a good deal. Since I no longer have my Gold membership, I can’t see where those sales are coming from. It sure would be nice to know.

As for the blog article I wrote, is it still necessary since we now know that Bonz is paying to include our items in GPS? I apologize I haven’t been here for a couple of days, but I’ve been down sick with fever and overall yuckiness. I still have a low-grade fever, but am feeling much better.

Anywho, the reason I ask is because I don’t want to discourage peeps from using GPS if our items are going to show prominently in GPS. Even though I don’t currently feed anything to GPS from my Bonz store, I’ve been considering it ever since I found out that my other venue is closing.

So, just let me know if I should continue with the blog article, if I should change the subject, or…

Posted by Sheenys-Shack, Muskogee, OK, Vintage Collectibles & More. 1,966 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

@moms, when I do a search on google for exact title or just peg votive, and I am not signed into google, I don’t see the shipping that you are showing. I don’t see any shipping at all in Google or Google Shopping.

So I guess the question is, are peeps actually seeing the high shipping that you are seeing?

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,820 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I saw where you mentioned that before Sheeny. I think the end result was that anyone in my location (meaning my state) would see that high shipping.

This makes it even worse. Someone who lives in my state would expect to see shipping at the lowest end of the fee scale. To them, this would be a shock.

I still don’t know if this is the case. Why would it show here and not in other regions? What is Googles reasoning for showing it only to buyers in North Carolina, if that’s the case?

Also, I’m not sure what you mean about “Signed into Google”. I never sign into Google. It automatically comes up with my Google Chrome Browser.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by bmorganovich, Nashville, TN. 230 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

@moms,
it’s the same strange thing we discussed some time ago in forums when the “Hawaii” shipping issue came up. I just searched for my own item – Reed & Barton Silverplate Cream & Sugar. It has great first placement in Google Shopping but shows a ridiculous shipping rate. That’s me looking at my own item from my location.
When I look at your item – exact title of first peg votive -
it shows no shipping price at all…just as sheeny pointed out.
I believe we determined in forum discussions of this issue that the only potential buyers seeing the outrageous shipping quote are either from your immediate area or worst case from your state. At least this scenario limits the damage to some extent.
I trust that there will eventually be a way for the boyz to sort out the shipping issue. In the meantime, given the current online selling situation, I’m grateful to be seen in Google shopping at all.

Babzee's

Posted by RayvensRarities, In the middle of the state of, Oregon. 16,332 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Yowsers.
Glad I don’t have to use calculated shipping and this is just another example of why I WON’T and another reason why I’m still not liking Google

Sorry you guys that this is happening to.

RAYVEN'S RARITIES'

Posted by HavensRainbow, NC. 6,503 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Purple: “As for the blog article I wrote, is it still necessary since we now know that Bonz is paying to include our items in GPS? I apologize I haven’t been here for a couple of days, but I’ve been down sick with fever and overall yuckiness. I still have a low-grade fever, but am feeling much better.”

I would think probably not, Purple. Or maybe you could talk about us being in GPS. That might be good to blog about.

I took a look in GPS, logged in and out of my account on Google plus and my blog, both times your shipping price showed up, Marianna. With me living in NC, I guess this is why it is showing up? It looks pretty high in there even though I know the sales tax is part of it in with the shipping price.

I have not gotten a sale from someone in NC in ages. I used to get some. Also, sales tax on top of an already high shipping price does look funny. Let’s put it this way…….it does not help with a high shipping price showing up One thing I’m not gonna do, as I said before, is change from calculated shipping, especially to please a glitch that may someday turn around (choosing to say glitch even though there may be a better word for it).

TY Rayvens.

Haven's Rainbow Of Books 'N Stuff

Something I’ve been wondering about……why is Google announcing that it is now being called Google Shopping whereas before we already called it this?

We had already been calling it Google Shopping and sometimes we also called it Google Product Search. Was it never formerly Google Shopping before?

Right now it still comes up as Google Product Search when I search in Google organic and that link takes me to where I can search for products. The Google Shopping link in Google organic says this when I click on it “Reach more customers with Google Shopping” and then it has a tab to click on to “get started.”

Posted by Sheenys-Shack, Muskogee, OK, Vintage Collectibles & More. 1,966 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

@moms, on my regular puter, when I go to google or GS, I am signed in. Today I’m bouncing around on a couple other computers, and haven’t signed in.

But I would have to agree with bmorganovich, if the high prices can only be seen from your state, it does minimize the problem somewhat. I totally forgot about the older thread.

Posted by ilovecrystals, Belfair, WA. 2,354 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Speaking of teeter totter…First there was no calculated shipping on Bonanza so had to try to figure out the cost of shipping the best I could. We were losing money everytime on shipping, (none of our items are the same) then there was calculated shipping on Bonanza so changed all my 2000 plus items to calculated, then my items dropped off google because they wouldn’t accept calculated shipping, so once again I changed all 2000 plus items back to flat rate, unlike Moms who wisely held her ground…I wish I hadn’t done that now. I am back to losing money on shipping because it depends on where it is being shipped to, unless I use a flat rate box which is sometimes.

Keep in mind that I cannot seem to use the batch edit so had to do it one at a time.

I am so fed up with it and have much better things to do with my time then the teeter totter that is only an energy sucking, time wasting, and doesn’t really matter anyhow because everything is going to change again to who knows what!

“I am so fed up with it and have much better things to do with my time then the teeter totter that is only an energy sucking, time wasting, and doesn’t really matter anyhow because everything is going to change again to who knows what!”

lol Crystal. So true.

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Well said I Love Crystals. Been going thru this for years with on line selling. Always some new change we must comply with and then go change a zillion listings individually. I won’t touch the batch editor here, have heard too many horror stories.

G's New-N-Used

Sheeny, it is nice to know the shipping price is not showing up like that all across the United States, thankfully!!

Posted by southwestamericana, Hill Country, TX. 193 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

OK…Mom’s and others…need some assistance. I’ve had a lousy day including a flat tire, so I’m dead tired and maybe I’m a little dense at this point, but please tell me how you are going into Google (Google Shopping?)and finding these freight errors. I never caught the original thread on this, so I didn’t know this was happening.

Google is my home page…..I’m not signed into Bonanza….I see only my listing with no freight added. These listings take me directly into Bonanza where, of course, the freight is correct when I put in an area zip. This is huge for me as I am in the middle of converting my booth to what I hope will be a seamless checkout with few or no needed emails back and forth between myself and customers, I had originally sent it up for multiple shipping with customers either emailing me for shipping amount prior to purchase or refunding some freight after the fact, and want to change that. I have books that I want to ship for .50 after the first book, so I was changing other items that were flat rate to calculated shipping. Please, please give me some direction in how to find these incorrect freight amounts on Google. Pretty sure I’ll feel more than dumb when you give me the answer, but hey, I really need to know.

Posted by jsgeare, Whitehall VA 22987, VA. 8,255 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Purple has reported that her sales went up when she used calculated shipping.

But this does mean her sales increased BECAUSE she used calculated shipping?

Hard to say.

I know that, in my own case, my customers are frequent buyers of rail modeling equipment on the Internet and elsewhere. They are well attuned to what is a good deal, and what is not. Their purchase decision, so they tell me, is based on total, out of pocket, delivered, cost to them.

But OTHER shoppers may actually take some comfort from seeing (and paying) a separate shipping amount. This could be taken to mean that the cost of something of value, INCLUDING shipping, is a very good deal.

In the end, it is all about customer preference and instinct. If the customer expects shipping added on, then it may be best to sell them WITH shipping added on, because this allows them to make a value assessment of the item independently of the shipping cost. In my case, the options are few. A pack of 5 sticks of Atlas brand 3 foot flex track simply is what it is – a commodity item. There is nothing unique or creative; accordingly, landed cost looms large, and most buyers know the range of cost that should be expected. It would be the same when someone shops for a case of Coke or Pepsi; it is what it is -there is no (or not much) of a value distinction to be made based on where you get the soft drink; and cheaper wins (all other things being equal).

We all must be wary of patterns which are superficial or artificial. I doubt that Purple would say the using calculated shipping alone would, independent of anything else, boost sales.

Everyone is in search of the ONE THING that will do the trick: shipping, social media, compliance with Google requirements, best price, good descriptions, good pictures. Yet, there is no “one thing.” If there were, then we all need only to do the one thing, and profit by the doing of it. Rather, it is EVERYTHING, and in the context of all that others are doing, which is a constantly changing landscape.

Not a pretty picture, perhaps, yet a vision of the reality.

Posted by Fathertime, Stoughton, WI. 962 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Thank You Bill for the update, I am hoping to be informed and patient, It sounds like you are working to be on top of the issue. I will not make any judgement yet.

Adopt an Antique Booth

Posted by sofyblu2, Fraser,MI, The best of the best!. 14,089 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

just found a certain brand of cat litter that google shows shipping for over 1000.00 for a 3 pound bag lol

sofyblu2

See, that’s what I’m talking about. How can Google even consider charging for this when they can’t fix the shipping issue that it’s ADVERTISERS are showing in their listings on GPS? They need to get their priorities in place first.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by RayvensRarities, In the middle of the state of, Oregon. 16,332 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

@SouthWest… http://www.google.com/prdhp This is Google shopping we are referring to where our products show up at, not Google organic the search engine.

A little while back Google shopping made it to where people’s listings that were set to calculated shipping were not showing up in Google shopping because for some odd reason they just were not due to a change that Google shopping did (sorry, I’m tired and trying to wrap this up a little faster than I normally would).

So, what Bonanza MGMT did was somehow set it up for calculated shipping to come across as showing up as a Hawaii calculated shipping price so that for sellers who had their listings set up for calculated, those listings would still show up in Google shopping.

Though it was frustrating to not have our real shipping prices showing up, it was a fix to get our listings back in Google shopping. This was not Bonanza’s fault that this happened in the first place.

BUT

We have come to the realization that shoppers within our own state are the only ones that will see what our shipping prices are in Google shopping. There is a downside to this though. Since Hawaii is further away from the east coast, which is where I live, naturally our shipping price will show up higher to someone in our own state. This is one of the main reasons this topic was brought up in this thread.

These are not errors. It just is how it is right now and there’s nothing we can do about it for those that choose to do calculated shipping.

If you are okay with only your state seeing a higher shipping price while searching in Google shopping at one of your listings, then you’ll be fine to go with calculated shipping.

I’m still wondering how only the people in the state we live in sees our listings’ shipping prices though and how no other states would see our shipping prices in Google shopping…. Do you all think we need to do some more experimenting looking around in GPS? Maybe since Google tracks things on the internet, this might be how they know where the person is from that is browsing within GPS?

I hope this makes sense SouthWest. Sorry about your flat tire today.

Posted by sheepish, Layton, UT. 362 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I searched GPS for Risk Global Domination which would include several editions including a new one (board games only). Every listing had a shipping price except for those with Free Shipping. I don’t understand the “only people in your state” can see your shipping charge. Of course a buyer has no way of telling whether he is looking at a fixed price or if there is a calculated price posssibility. This morning my weekly item count was at 984, down from the 2,400 starting point in early April. My sales have a larger decrease. For the most part I am not really offering calculated shipping. I fully agree with Marianna that it is not worth advertising with GPS or GS if they cannot get it right.

On a side note it was interesting to see (on the new edition) toysrus @ ebay $25.99 with $4 shipping and toysrus.com at $25.99 with $8 shipping.

Posted by UknowUneedAnother, NY. 1,253 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Personally, I think that the mal-adjusted coders of the world get cheap kicks and ego boosts by all this needless horse sh*t. And that the lot of them are engaged in p*ssing contests with the other power house sites.
IF everyone refused to bow and scrape, eventually they would need to stop.

Posted by CindyBear, MHC, N Carolina. 8,028 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

In reference to moms post…I am in her state and when I am signed in…it shows tax + shipping and it does show an outrageously high shipping cost…and I imagine my items show the same to her…

CindyBear's Den

Posted by cshort0319, Kingston, NY. 6,697 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I think ‘coders’ is the acronym for:

Compulsively
Obstructive
Deliberately
Excessively
Regulatory
Service.

Or, maybe there’s a more accurate one that’s fit for family viewing?

Carolyn

Some of My Favorite Things

Posted by southwestamericana, Hill Country, TX. 193 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Since I missed the original thread on this “in state inflated shipping cost“, it now appears that changing my booth to what I hoped would be a seamless checkout for multiple item buyers is a lost cause.

I can not fathom why Google did this, but since I have other items in addition to books, I guess I’ll go back to flat rates for all listings, and retain the “email me for adjusted freight on multiple item purchases before buying, or check on through and I’ll refund any freight overages” statement. I’m sure it will kill some sales! My books wouldn’t have the same shipping discount as the other items….can’t do an over all discount percentage…so I’m sunk. It is my belief that extra steps kill sales, but just don’t see an easy way around that especially since I plan on doing some advertising on certain venues within the state of Texas. Can you imagine someone a couple hundred miles away from me logging in and finding a freight charge double what it should be???? POOF…they’re gone and probably never will come back! I realize that if I advertise within the state of Texas giving out my booth address…..driving them directly to my booth, once they are in my booth the freight will be correct, but if they decide to do some price comparisons on Google Shopping and see a much higher freight cost there for me than as in my booth…..well,it would raise a question mark I think, and odds are they might skip right on to the next seller with lower shipping.

At this point, the dark side of my personality has taken over….maybe I should forget the internet…just buy an old school bus….retro fit it as a mobile store…paint it, and hit the road!

SouthWest, understandable. Just to make sure that you know though, once they come to your listing they see the correct shipping price.

And don’t give up!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

All of this grief for a few people who shop off of their phones….

G's New-N-Used

Posted by thecornerstonecowboy, Lexington, KY USA. 517 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Southwest, the “old school bus” sounds like a plan. Reminds me of the huckster that would stop at my grandparents’ farm when I was a kid.

P.S. I thought it was fun when the huckster came by…:-)

Since I am a little gray haired old lady ( who looks perfectly harmless), hopefully they won’t think I’m a huckster. None of that “tell ya what I’m going to do ….or wait, you get not one, but two for the price of”……………

Then again, I have some old, old, medicine bottles………..

Page
< 1 2 3 4 5 >