WWII Collection. 108 NAVY WAR PHOTOS. Compiled-Capt E.Steichen. For Navy Men.
A unique collection of 108 pages full of full page pictures of air, sea and land combat taken during WWII. A collection of Official U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Photographs compiled by Captain Edward Steichen, U.S.N.R. Evidentialy, a copy of this document was given to those that served in the Navy in WWII. The opening page notes a short statement by James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy- "To the Officers and Men of the Navy: You are leaving the Navy which you made victorious in the greatest war in history. These pictures will go with you as a reminder of a job well done- a job of which you can be proud as long as you live because it gave mankind another opportunity to live together in peace and decency. May you in your civilian lives help to keep the deadly danger, which the first picture in this book records, from threatening our Nation again".
All pictures are captioned. For the 6 pictures above, I have noted the captions as follows: top row left to right- Pg 90 Tired Marine and dog sleep on a bed of rocks-Okinawa; Pg 31 Coast Guard Rescues Seamen from oil covered sea; Pg 60 Aircrewman wounded in strike on Rabaul. Aircraft carrier USS Saratoga-5 November 1943. Bottom row left to right- Pg 66 Close up of Jap Kamikaze just before crashing on USS Essex-25 November 1944; Initial insert Title page; Pg 102 News of defeat comes to Jap prisoners of war-Guam. On pages 106-108 are more information about the pictures, for example, Pg 102: NEWS OF DEFEAT COMES TO JAP PRISONERS OF WAR-GUAM. News of the defeat and unconditional surrender of Japan reached these Japanese prisoners of war at a POW camp in Guam, when with bowed heads they heard Emperor Hirohito broadcast to the people of Japan. U.S Navy Photo.
This document will be appreciated by any WWII collector or Navy collector. Has soft cover and measures 11" x 11-1/2". Some wear on cover. Printed photographs are in excellent condition.
- Seller prefers PAYPAL as the main method of payment.
- Money Orders are accepted. Item will be shipped upon cleared Money Order.
- Seller typically ships USPS.
- Seller ships within 3 days or sooner (usually within 24 hours) of cleared payment.
- Seller offers combined shipping; either make an offer or we can refund the cost difference after payment.
- Seller does not ship International.
- Seller tries to keep shipping costs as low as possible, including postage and shipping material cost.
- If buyer prefers shipping other than USPS, please let us know!
- Seller refunds shipping overages over $1.00.
- If for any reason the buyer is not satisfied with the purchase, please contact us prior to return.
- We ask that the buyer return the item in the same condition that it was received.
- The buyer is responsible for return shipping cost. The original purchase price will be refunded upon receipt of the item.
Thank you for reviewing our booth offerings. If you have any questions, please contact us. We consider all reasonable offers!