Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
Seller Discussions will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

The American Dream: Life Is Good - Success Story of a small startup.

Subscribe to The American Dream: Life Is Good - Success Story of a small startup. 11 posts 8 voices

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,821 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

I saw a story on CNBC last night about a company called LIFE IS GOOD.

Their story is amazing, and I think all of us can learn something from it.

http://www.accesswealthstrategies.com/1086/cnbc-business-nation-how-i-made-my-millions-part-2/

This is the Donny Deutsch story: The Big Idea
http://www.cnbc.com/id/24602902

It will take a minute for the video to show after the commercial…be patient.

And this from ABC News:
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=4205806

This company grew to what it is today without any advertising. That was the most amazing thing I learned from watching the story last night.

The same thing could happen here for anyone of us, and for Bonanza.
My thought…don’t worry so much about actual advertising.

Make the best presentation you can with your products, your listings, your photo’s, and your professional standing. The more we focus on Quality, and being known for the place where it can be found…the better our chances are of reaching the top of the ladder.

Both in our own businesses and here on Bonanza.

It could happen here.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by permacrisis, MA. 3,863 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Sharp photos and original, detailed descriptions are the best advertising around- Google loves ’em.

Posted by woodennickel, Cincinnati, OH. 1,198 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Thanks, Marianna! Good advice

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,821 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

For those on Dialup…

In 1989, Bert and John Jacobs designed their first tee shirt. They knew nothing about the business.
For five years, the brothers hawked tee shirts in the streets of Boston and traveled the East Coast, selling door-to-door in college dormitories.

They collected some good stories, but were not very prosperous. They lived on peanut butter and jelly, slept in their van, and showered when they could.

Chicks were not impressed.

Bert and John street hawking, South Boston, March 1993

By the Fall of 1994, heading home from a long, less-than-fruitful roadtrip, Bert and John were desperately searching for answers to keep the dream alive. Little did they know, the only answer they needed was back in Boston, hanging up on their apartment wall.
Jake’s contagious grin, simple as it was, seemed to express everything the Jacobs brothers believed in.

Original Jake drawing, July 1994

One fateful September day, they printed up 48 Jake shirts for a local street fair in Cambridge, Massachusetts. They laid the shirts out on their rickety card table. By noontime, all 48 of those tees were gone. A star was born.
Soon Jake was introduced to local retailers, and his simple message of optimism was embraced like nothing the brothers had ever seen. As demand for product soared, Jake’s team grew, and the Little Brand That Could began to spread across America.

Today, the New England based brand stays close to its roots, with an emphasis on simplicity, humor and humility. Through Life is good Festivals, positive products, and a steady dose of ping pong, Jake’s crew does its best to keep the good vibes flowing.

First day ever selling Life is good, Cambridge Street Fair, September 1994

Moms Pennies From Heaven

I found the video from last night and added that to the OP.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by pt2bch, Dumfries, VA. 291 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Fabulous story. And I just passed it on to the owners of the tee-shirt shop where I used to work. They do custom work – screen printing, embroidery, etc. and lost their lease last month. They are working out of their garage & looking for a new space and really need a lift. Thanks Marianne!

Posted by AriseGifts, South Houston, TX. 5,289 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Awesome and inspiring!!!! Thank you!

Posted by CritterCreekRanch, Canton, TX. 13,478 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Wow very inspiring thanks for posting Marianna!

CritterCreekRanch's booth

Posted by HodgePodgeLodge, Chicagoland, IL. 3,415 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Thanx Moms

Need to save this for those “down in the dumps days”
Inspiring!

Posted by gseclecticattic, Land of Over 10,000 Lakes, Minnesota. 3,600 total posts | Posted almost 7 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this. Here’s how I was feeling last night.

“I walk alone down the path of the woods

The wind blows hard through whistling through the trees

Yet I still don’t hear a sound.

Animals scurry around me into the brush

Birds fly overhead screeching, squirrels chatter in

I walk alone through the sand on the beach

The ocean waves pounding on the shore

The light house stands proud on the rock above

The foghorn signaling danger loud and strong

You walk through the crowds on the busy streets

People yelling, talking, screaming and laughing

Yet you still don’t hear a sound.

You are lonely."

One of my many poems. I write poems all the time, I rarely share them with anyone though. These stories are so uplifting, I needed a lift!

Spinner

Minimum 6 characters; at least one number and one capital letter

By creating an account, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

New to Bonanza? Sign up to save items, follow sellers and get exclusive coupons.

Don't worry - Bonanza respects your inbox. We send less email and make it easy to opt out. Read our privacy policy »