An excerpt from the original
Here, again, another gorgeous "relic of monastic times"
rises in isolated majesty over the subject buildings, and confers an importance
and solemnity on the whole scene. This Abbey is a noble specimen
of the solid and majestic style of architecture, called the Saxon, or early
Norman. Over the intersection of the cross, in the centre of
the building, rose a lofty square tower, or lantern, upon four spacious
arches, in the pointed style, with six windows in each of its sides, and
open galleries within. Only the south and west sides now remain,
but these are the grandest and most striking parts of the ruin. The
Scottish reformers had no hand in the demolition of this church;
for having been burnt by the duke of Norfolk in 1542, and occupied
as a place of defence by the townspeople, during the invasion of Earl Hertford
three years after, it was destroyed by the enemy. From the state
of the ruin, it may be inferred that the cannon employed in
battering it down, were directed against it from the north-east.
The monks of Kelso—as stated in the preceding note—were
of a reformed class of the Benedictine order, first established at
Tiron, in France, A.D. 1109, and hence called TIRONENSES.