A Business Model Built on Healing
For many domestic violence survivors, escaping an abusive relationship is only half the battle. Moving forward and creating an independent, self-sufficient life is a critical next step. Healing in the aftermath of domestic abuse is different for each survivor. For Diva, founder of DiVASHACK, her journey towards healing and rebuilding her life started with helping others to heal.
Diva's vision is to empower women to regain control of their lives and to embrace their femininity with her line of products. "With serious intimate partner abuse, it can rob women of their womanhood. They may feel that they are not beautiful and no one would love them," Diva says. "Helping them feel like a woman again is part of the healing process." She started selling lingerie and slowly added gowns and formal footwear. Now her booth showcases a wide variety of fashion, all meant to help women feel "fashionable, sexy, and comfortable.”
What were some of the biggest challenges you faced when you first started and how did you resolve them?
One of my biggest challenges is maintaining my inventory. I source my products from China, and it’s not uncommon for suppliers to change or discontinue a product. It’s a constant juggling act to locate new suppliers who carry the same products I’m selling, or find reputable new suppliers. I communicate with my suppliers via an app that translates English into Mandarin and vice versa. I let them know if there are special sizing directions they need to follow for an order and they give me advice on the best shipping methods from China.
What has surprised you the most about becoming an online seller?
For a very long time, I didn’t even realize that I had experienced domestic abuse. After I started counseling, the reality dawned on me. Even when I met very kind people, I always felt like I was walking on eggshells. Nice treatment in a relationship terrified me because of my past. I guess the most surprising thing for me is how much of a positive impact starting DiVASHACK has had on my recovery. Being my own boss, having my own business, it’s a very liberating experience. My mind feels free.
What advice would you share to those looking to enter ecommerce?
Starting an online business can be a tiresome proposition. The key is to keep it simple. Some people have an idea and they immediately jump to opening a boutique. After rent, utilities, costs of materials, and taxes, you’ll hardly make any profit. With e-commerce, you can avoid a lot of the startup costs. Once you’ve decided on a product, test the waters with a platform like Bonanza where the financial investment to get started is minimal. As your business grows, you can look to a higher membership level, other platforms, or even get a brick and mortar store. The options are endless, but keep it simple when you first start.
Daring Details from Diva...
- What are your business goals in the next 3-5 years? Go viral through our social media, spread by our followers and shoppers. Purchases are not necessary to spread the word.
- When you’re not busy working on your online business, what do you do for fun?We wish to create a community for Women to celebrate their womenhood. DiVASHACK fashion lifestyle means to live confidently and feel beautiful, while helping other women with your purchases. Anyone can help us Donate Into Violence Abuse Shelters, as your purchase does make a difference.
- What is your favorite social media app? Facebook, because people are interconnected.
- What is your favorite part about online selling? I love that anyone can find us and allow us to make them happy. It's our pleasure to make new friends.
Today's scavenger hunt item is: something you can use 8 different ways.
Once you find something on Bonanza that fits this criteria, share it on Bonanza's Facebook page. The guidelines to participate in the Facebook contest are as follows:
- Users may participate in all 8 days of scavenger hunts, but you only NEED to participate once to be eligible for the contest.
- Users may post a maximum of twice per day.
- Users must post an item from Bonanza.
- Users may post their own item if relevant to the day's theme.
The winner(s) will be selected at the end of the week, with responses from all 8 days considered. The winner(s) will receive our Great 8 Prize Package. This package includes:
- 1 TurboTraffic Package
- 1 month of Background Burner Personal
- A booth consultation
- Item(s) from your booth featured in a homepage HPL
- A Custom Badge for profile
- An Item feature on Facebook / Twitter
- A Bonanza T-shirt
- A Bonanza Sticker variety pack
Be sure to check back here to find out each day's theme. Happy Hunting!
We want to say thank you for being loyal users of Bonanza. Without your feedback and input, we wouldn't be able to build a site that sellers recommend over Amazon, Etsy, and eBay. This week, we are featuring huge discounts from Bonanza sellers on the homepage. Discounts start at 20%. Don't miss out - check out the homepage for hand-picked lists that feature great deals throughout the anniversary promotion.
Here are some handy lists with discounts you won't believe.
We’ll also be offering a steep discount on annual memberships during our anniversary celebration. Enjoy an additional 25% off when you sign up for a new annual membership, upgrade from a monthly membership to an annual membership, or upgrade your current annual membership to a higher annual membership level. Don’t miss this opportunity for huge savings on membership-only features that will benefit your store long-term!