x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
General will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

Computer question

Subscribe to Computer question 34 posts 13 voices

Page
1 2 >
Posted by xxxIJPickers, PA. 615 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

As we all know, the pictures we take of our items takes up A-LOT of space on the computer.
So we do what EVERY computer geek tells us to do…copy them to a disk.
Which I did. A Memorex CD-R disk. They came is a multitude of pretty colors, too!
So, all of a sudden I can no longer access two of my disks. Was able to before. When I click “Properties” it states that one is completely full, the other is about 75%. But yet, I get “Drag files here to be viewed or copies” or a similar statement. It says “0 Pictures”. That can’t be. I can not for the life of me get these pictures to load!
Any ideas! I even tried on my son’s computer, but no luck.

Posted by fitnfree, Sheboygan, WI. 270 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Oh, not good. Sounds like the disk became corrupted or unusable for whatever reason. You may not be able to recover your data but you can give it try with a product like CD Recovery ( http://www.cd-recovery.biz/ ). I’ve had this happen one too many times and would suggest you use either an external hard drive or easier yet, flash drives, Get at LEAST 16GB for flash, though as images can fill they up fast. If you needn’t take them with you, an external hard drive is great. Most are just plug ‘n play (USB) now and you can buy them with terabytes of storage now. Western Digital is a great brand and reasonable in price. I also like Seagate but there are a lot of good ones. Amazon has the best prices I’ve found.

fitnfree's booth

PS (need more coffee this am!) Always, always, ALWAYS make double back ups of important data. I help my mom take care of my ailing father and am back and forth between their house and mine every day, so flash drives are a lifesaver for me. Well, one rare afternoon I had at home my exhaustion caught up with me and I fell asleep while on my laptop. I had been using my jump (flash) drive to get some work done so it was plugged into the computer.

The laptop fell to the floor, bending the daylights out of the jump drive and now it’s totally, completely shot. I can’t get it to do anything. But I had everything double backed up onto an external hard drive so I’ll survive, although I had a few changes and new items I lost, which is frustrating, too but my own fault.

Sorry, didn’t mean to get long-winded. Just that I store terabytes and terabytes of data so this is something I’ve had a lot of experience with and I am just trying to help…

fitnfree's booth

Posted by jsgeare, Whitehall VA 22987, VA. 8,255 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Odd as it may seem, if you try the “bad” CD in another PC, it just might work. If it does, copy the files to a thumb drive. Problem with CDs is that the “player” is mechanical and can fall out of sync. No such problem with a thumb drive or similar media.

Another solution is to store your images on Picasa, or otherwise some other online bulk storage service.

Very discouraging when your stuff is so near – yet so far.

It is discouraging! Such a helpless feeling! I hate when that happens!

Good point about the CDs – that’s worked for me on a couple occasions. Sure worth a try.

fitnfree's booth

Worked one minute, now it doesn’t! So frustrating!
My son also recommended a flash drive!
@fitnfree..OMG! That’s a travesty! I don’t know what I would do if my laptop crashed to the floor! Probably curl up in a ball and cry!

@jsgeare, tried it on my son’s computer and no go. Got the same results. Luckily, it’s just pictures of my items and I can always take another one if I have to. I don’t store any family photos on cd’s (I haven’t taken any in years anyway) and any other jpgs I have may have I can always retrieve again off the internet.

What bothers me is that the computer says the disk is full, but thinks it’s empty. Weird.

Ok, I guess a purchase of a flashdrive is in store. I’ll look into the external harddrive as well. Ugh, so much for modern technology!

Thank you all for your support, advice and encouragment!

Posted by ccmom, MHC, N Carolina. 4,883 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I use a Rocketfish Drive enclosure..when my other computer’s mother board went..I pulled the hard drive and put into the Rocketfish..and then use usb port to hook into my computer..has all my older pictures.files and I use it as back-up..nice compact..hard drive that I can just turn on any time I need the extra space..

It's Your Turn

Posted by jsgeare, Whitehall VA 22987, VA. 8,255 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

One more thing, IJ: I’m not sure how you are attempting to “look at” the CD. If you are using Windows Explorer, then, never mind, you’ve gone about as far as you can go, But if NOT, the CD should show in the folders as another drive: maybe letter G or W. Double click it, and see if the contents then appear. If so, then great; if not, then rats!

@jsgeare, I was using Windows Media player on Drive E. I rarely use WE. Thanks!
@ccmom, Oh, I like that! I’ll look into that too! I’ll bring my son the computer wiz with me. Even he is baffled with the CD not loading. And he’s up on EVERYTHING! Thank you for the idea!

Try WE – see if it matters.

Ok, I’ll try, what have I got to lose, right? ;-)

“@fitnfree..OMG! That’s a travesty! I don’t know what I would do if my laptop crashed to the floor! Probably curl up in a ball and cry!”

I did … oh believe me, I did! LOL One time I dropped one- tripped on the cord on that one – on a hardwood floor and totally demolished the hard drive. That was super SUPER painful. But money was tight so I did some research, bought a new hard drive and learned it’s really quite simple to replace so that part was kind of fun – scary, but fun.

Did you try that software? I think it’s free. Some people have told me it works for them, others not. I’ve never tried it personally.

fitnfree's booth

Posted by xxCleosFleaMarket, Canada. 3,851 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I bought IsoBuster few years ago after I tried it and was able to recover all my damaged cd, I don’t regret my purchase! They have very good support and updates are free.

Posted by AnimePagoda, Florida. 7,466 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

An external hard drive to back up your files is helpful.

I am going to say Memorex has been one of my worst CD/DVD-rs that I have ever tried using I prefer using some of the others (at almost 12:30 am I can’t remember what the other brands are).

Haven’t be able to concentrate on that area yet. As soon as I get a chance I’ll be looking into all your suggestions! My son said CD’s are the worst place to store pictures because of this issue. I love the external harddrive idea! Knowing me I’d start losing the flash drives, but willing to buy one or two to give it a try!

You’ve all been great! Thanks for your advice (and stories!)!

Posted by AnimePagoda, Florida. 7,466 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

You can get a 1 Terabyte external hard drive for about $100 maybe less.

That’s not bad! Where do you think is the best place? Staples? Office Depot (basically the same). I don’t like Best Buy. Does Wallyworld even HAVE stuff that sophisticated?

Posted by canacreations, Calgary, Canada. 2,494 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

We Currently have a two terra stack and the three 500 gig drives through out the net work and still every now and then i loose an image or a design I could swear was there just yesterday.

Never enough memory.

Posted by RayvensRarities, In the middle of the state of, Oregon. 16,332 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Bought an external HD a couple of years ago when Wallyworld had them on sale. Back up everything on it and no more worries

RAYVEN'S RARITIES'

Oh, Wallyworld carries something that technical? Wow, they’re moving up in the world.

Posted by redredconv, . 50 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I have several external drives. Ass mentioned, if you upgrade a computer, you can buy a case for the ‘old’ HD – as cheap as $15.

If you get rid of a computer, ALWAYS pull the HD – your personal info is on there, even if you think you deleted it. You probably just deleted the index to it and unsavories can get to it. I had several friends get rid of old computers – I guess I must be trustworthy as they gave the HDs to me; hence the several external drives. You can get cases for laptop HDs too – not much bigger than a smartphone & great for traveling.

IBZ's Yard

I must have at least 5 HD’s in box from old computers. It would be fun to hook them back up to something and find out what’s on them.

Posted by thenandnow, Lake LBJ, . 141 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

Interesting and good information.

I need to do this—get an external hard drive to back up my computer.

Question…How easy is this to do? I’m looking at a 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive online.

When I connect it to my computer what do I do then?

Thank you.

Then And Now Jewels

Copy the files from your C dive to the new hard drive, which will probably appear under its own drive letter; perhaps “G” or “W.” I would do this from Windows Explorer, where you can just drag and drop entire file structures. The device will probably also come with some backup software, which allows you to automatically backup files you select. There is probably enough room on that drive to backup the entire system.

Understand that a backup is not really the same as copying files; it involves a process which usually compresses the material in some way. Thus, if you need to restore the data and programs, you’ll need to do it with the program for that purpose – you don’t just copy material back to the C drive.

Also be aware that if you have malware or a virus, that, too, will be backed up. Therefore, you should scan the system before a backup. The included software may have a feature that will do this housecleaning for you.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, be aware that you security extends only to cover issues arising from the equipment or media itself. It does nothing to anticipate external disaster and physical damage, such as fire, flood, etc. There are basically two ways to deal with this:

1. Get a second portable drive, and have it mirror the first one. Store the second one (a copy of the backup on the first) in a safe location, such as a fireproof, water tight safe.
  2. Use an online backup service, so your data and/or programs are stored at a very remote location. This is a viable option only if you have a high speed connection.

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

So every time I backup my computer I’ll select the file/s that I want to backup and the external hard drive will add the new info to that/those files?

In case you couldn’t tell I’m not real computer literate.

Then And Now Jewels

First things first – READ the manual. Backups are of two basic kinds:

1. The “full backup” which either backs up everything on the system (or files you select) every time it runs. Each full backup may be separately stored, or a new one may simply replace an old one. The reason for keeping separate backups is to restore the system to a particular date and time.
  2. The “incremental” backup, which backs up only what has changed since the original full backup. Thus, a full backup may be run on a Monday, followed by incrementals every day until the next Monday, when a new full backup is run. The reason for this strategy was speed and convenience, and it comes from the days when backups were stored on reels of tape. A full backup might require an operator to change tapes 2 or more times, which meant hanging around at night just to change a tape. But the incremental might take only a tenth of a reel, because it stored only changed data. The operator could schedule it to run at midnight, then go home.

How your backup works will depend on what comes in the box. Given that memory and storage are so vast and cheap these days, I’m guessing that incrementals might not even be an option.

But meanwhile, yes, simply copy your pictures and whatever else you want to keep onto the new mass storage drive. You can worry about backup strategies later.

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

Then And Now Jewels

Wow, great advice and info! Thank you!

Posted by casper, Butler, IN. 3,489 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I go an extra step. I have 2 external drives. I backup everything to an external drive daily and I back up the external to another external once a week. I never use CD’s.

BM Enterprise at Bonanza

Posted by JohnGermaine, Topanga, CA. 6,432 total posts | Posted about 2 years ago

I’ve always kept my pictures on my computer. The files aren’t that big once you have cropped and saved them to the size needed. Have never considered an extra external drive to keep them on. If I got that many pictures and got that paranoid about them, I’d buy Carbonite or similar.

G's New-N-Used
Page
1 2 >