x

Just letting you know...

With the launch of our new Community section, we're going to be downsizing our forums.
Seller Discussions will be removed in the next few weeks.

For more information on the changes to our Community pages, please see: New and Improved Community Section Now Live.

Important things to help Newbies get started listing

Subscribe to Important things to help Newbies get started listing 92 posts 39 voices

Page
1 2 3 4 >
Posted by Alilbirdy2, Oark, AR Customized Banners,Logos,.... 13,244 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

If you have any tips, to add to this, feel free to add.

With this site, you control who finds you here, that means if you don’t do your own advertising (away from Bonanza ) then you are not going to do as well as someone who does do their own advertising ( away from Bonanza).

This site is a venue which allows you to list items for FREE. The Advertising is up to you.(Both here and away from Bonanza)

This site gives you tools which help to direct traffic to your booth if you use those tools, if you don’t use the tools, then of course you are not going to do as well as someone who does use those tools.

The bottom line is if you do the work then you will get what you put in to it.
If you do the

Do the Attributes
Do the Traits

Promote your booth everywhere you go both online and off line
Think outside the box for a change. Since Bonanza does not do the advertising for us, it is up to each person to advertise their own booth. Not just online. Some one may be driving to work listening to the radio in their car. If you have a local radio station. Put an add out there.

Or you could do one of the following.

take out an add in your local news paper
Leave flyers around your town
Leave business cards of your booth
Send a business card with anything you send in the mail
the more you advertise (Everywhere), the more traffic to your booth you will see.
Also the more traffic you have, the better chance of selling your items.

One thing that some folks don’t realize is the type of items they have for
sale may not be what the majority of buyers are looking for. Remember to
have a variety of items, look at what sells for others, and try to carry
something Useful around the house or work place. If your items are not selling, and your price is low enough
your shipping is not outrageous, then it may be the type of items you carry
is not what people are looking to buy.

Make sure your listings have a really good description, describe your
items as if you are describing to someone who can not see.
Note the size, color, weight and anything that applies to your items.
A one or two line description is not really enough to hold anyones attention
while if you have a huge paragraph it will also not hold anyones attention.

Advertise your booth like you would if you had a brick and mortor store.
While other venues advertise for you to bring traffic to their site, you have to do the advertising for yourself here.

Tips to Higher Google Rank

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/promotion/a/aaaagoogle.htm

another discussion you need to see is How to add attributes to your listings
http://www.bonanza.com/forums/9/topics/132586?page=3#posts-2137912

If you have something that would be helpful to a newbie please post it here

Digital Designs and More

Posted by Alilbirdy2, Oark, AR Customized Banners,Logos,.... 13,244 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Make sure if you imported your listings from another site, take out all references to that other site. Words like Auction, Bidding, etc… do not belong in your listings here, as we do not have listings that are Auction format.

Digital Designs and More

A full description, with size, and dementions, color , material it is made of, etc.. will go a long way in gaining or losing a sale.

Digital Designs and More

Be sure to have nice photos, that are cropped in the editor as well as using good keywords for searching. Do not use all caps in your title, as Google search will not accept your listing. Also do not use symbols like L@@K, or ~ @@-%
Google search engines will not accept your listing with symbols in the title.

Digital Designs and More

If you want to learn how to take better photos, please visit this discussion by Polzar on photography.

Photographic Tips !!!
http://www.bonanza.com/forums/1/topics/124837

Digital Designs and More

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,820 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

EXPAND YOUR BOOTH PHOTOS TO FULL VIEW

For those who don’t know they can do this…

To edit your photo’s in your booth,
Click on Sell
Once inside of your booth click on edit for the first ad.
Once the ad opens, move your mouse over to the first photo and hover over it, you will see an option come up that says crop/rotate. Click on that.

Once the photo editor opens, use the rotate arrows first, if you need to rotate, your photo’s. Then, proceed to the bar that is under the photo. Slide the bar all the way over to the left. This will expand your photo to full view. Make adjustments if too much blank space is around photo to crop tight. You can also put your mouse on the photo and move it around if it’s not fully expanded.

Click on crop and save.
Then on the bottom, save this item.

From there you can go on to do all of your other photo’s one at a time.

After you have finished, remember to update your booth.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Posted by momspennies, Salisbury, NC . 26,820 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Setting up Custom Categories:

Here are the complete instructions for anyone who needs them:

Step one:
Create you Custom categories.

Make a list of exactly how you want your categories to be listed. Before you insert any products, it is best to make sure they are set up to include a keyword that Buyers will search with. They should also be listed in Alphabetical Order.

Step Two
Once you have your list written down, you are ready to designate your custom categories in your advanced options. To access that,
click on sell
Click on Advanced Options
Scroll halfway down to where you see Custom Booth Categories

This is where you type in your categories, In the order you want them to appear to your buyers. (Special Note: any changes that you make to these categories will cause you to lose whatever you have inserted so it is important to make sure they are exactly as you want them BEFORE you add products to them, changes will cause all your products to filter out into “ALL STUFF”).

Choose Manually or automatic as preferred method of sort from the drop down box.

Step Three
Go to the top of the page and click Save All Options, then Sell, then update. This will save your changes.

Step Four
Now that you have your categories set up, you can use the batch editor to sort them manually.

Click on My Bonanzle
Click on Batch Edit Items in the left column.

When it opens, you will notice a list of options…you will be using the Basics option to sort these.

You will notice a green field and a blue field at the top.

Under those, there is a gray line that separates the sections from your products.

Below that gray line you will see all of your products. If and when you have more than 100 products, you will also see page numbers.

We will use Pendant for the example.

Step Five
Begin Sort set up
In the blue section…filter for Pendant. (it will also pick up the plural)

As an example
Enter “Pendant” in the field where it says Title Contains
Click on Filter

Once the page updates, you will see your pendants listed below the gray line. Go down the line and choose which ones you will be moving to your pendants category by clicking on the box next to each product.

Now, move back up to the green section.
You will see two lines with a drop down box next to each, one says Set main category, the other says Set Custom category

Click on Custom Category and use the drop down box to choose from one of the categories you created earlier. Choose Pendants
Now, click on Submit.

You will see a confirmation of the change come up at the top of the page once it refreshes if you did it correctly.

Now, all of your pendants have been moved to the correct category.

Repeat the steps for each set of products, as filtered by you until all of your products have been categorized.

This can also be done as you create the listing. You will notice both options also come up in the text editor, and this is where you can designate your categories as you list.

You can also set it up to automatically sort as well. The system will pick up on matching keywords and sort the listings automatically for you too. But you have to choose automatic sort in your advanced options, under sell.
Your keywords can be added to the bottom of the listing. I have noticed that the system will pick them up anywhere they appear in the listing.

Personally I use the manual method, and file them as I list.

Moms Pennies From Heaven

Wow this is great information thank you for posting it.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by KhangaBoutique, FL. 212 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

These are great helpful ideas. I just joined Bonanza a couple of weeks ago and have listed a few items. Would you be kind enough to visit my booth & give me some pointers or feedback. I have not had anybody visit my booth.
Thank you.

Setting Up International Shipping Tutorial
(This information may be different now as the batch editor has been changed and looks different)

In order to accept International Shipments and invoice at time of sale, Use this method to set up your ads. It is much simpler than calculating and pricing each one of your ads for each region and has worked well for me.

Under account settings (on your My Bonanzle Page), click on Seller settings Look at the bottom of the page.

I have both boxes as follows:

( ) When I approve an order, send the buyer their invoice automatically (don’t prompt me to review the invoice)

( ) Copy me when invoices are sent to buyers

*Notice that neither option is checked. It is ok to check the box for invoice copy if you want to.

I personally don’t because I get them through my items sold file, and through Paypal. After you edit your invoice, you can always elect to preview before you send it out to the buyer so there is no need for a copy to be sent to you..*

For International Shipping, I have my products set up like so:
Batch editor set up: (Remember to filter your products from High to Low to prevent mixups before you begin)

Don’t forget to Select All of your products and then hit submit
Repeat on every page of products in your batch editor.
If there are only certain products you will agree to ship, then just check those products.
Here is a sample of how one of your listings will look in the batch editor once it has been set up correctly (this example includes all countries)

Set this statement below up like so:
Click on the Sell tab
under advanced options in your booth, where it says the basics>>>>>>>Items ship within  business days* in that box, enter something similar with your policy, like mine is International Customers: Contact Seller for Shipping Quote First. Products Ship Within 1 (Stop there…the system will add the words business days)

Note:You can also add this directly under your countries in the batch editor where it says *Set max business days before item ships but it will not apply to any new listings you do. It is best to add them through the advanced options in your sell tab.
This is how it will look in your ads:

You’d be surprised how much information fits in that box.

Setting it up like I detailed it has made my products viewable to the International group and has allowed me to edit the invoice with the correct shipping when the buyer presents the offer. All of my products are Buy It Now.
Any other Buy It Now transaction (domestic) can go straight through to check out.

Once the invoice (or offer) comes to you, click on accept
At the top of the next page will be the option to edit the invoice and add the shipping.

Please note: You will only have the option to edit if your booth is set up this way…otherwise after you hit accept, it will go directly to the buyer Without shipping.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
USPS NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL CALCULATOR:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/
USPS RESTRICTIONS LIST By COUNTRY: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immctry.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the instructions for *complete set up by region, for when you are ready to add the actual fee to your listings

Now as I have time, I am going back and designating the fee by region for like items…example, I set up all of my CD’s. Most of them are the same weight so I did them in groups. I do it in the batch editor, the same way except, you do one region at a time and fill in the fee.

Step by step: (as I did it)

• Filter for all CD
  • choose shipping option
  • First, clear all International shipping if you previously designated it. Be sure to check each product you are revising and then click submit.
    Starting with the first region I will ship to, I choose Canada.

Note screenshot below:

Follow the same setup. Put check marks in the boxes next to all the products you want this to apply to.
Click on submit.

Then repeat the same steps for each region you will ship to.
Designate the fee and choose each product, then submit.

Here is how it will look once you’ve completed this set up.

The key to all this is to set up International quick and easy in a way that suits you.

Once you go through the complete setup, as shown in these secondary screenshots, buyers can go straight through checkout without waiting for you to add shipping.

Also, just want to add, that the International shipping statement cannot be removed from listings you have totally set up. That statement applies to everything in your booth. So all listings will still display the phrase:(example)
International Customers: Contact Seller for Shipping Quote First. Products Ship Within 1 business days.

Complete thread is here:
http://www.bonanza.com/forums/9/topics/132959?page=1#posts-1912329

Moms Pennies From Heaven

This was posted in another thread by bannerbonanza

Well…It’s October and things are changing here at Bonanza! Lots of new users are joining this wonderful place and we want to IMPRESS them! Here are some tips for Newbies and Seasoned sellers!

1. Make sure that your listing thumbnails are clear and cropped properly (to crop an image, you upload one in the listing editor, then hover over it, and select crop/rotate)

2. Write your listings as if you were a buyer looking at the listing. Think…would this be appealing to a buyer and does it describe the item in full? Make sure to spell things correctly and try to articulate your words in an appropriate manner.

3. Make sure that your banner, avatar and panels are not blurry, cluttered or miss-spelled. (try to match the trends around you with clean and modern designs)

4. Be friendly and cordial with visitors. Welcome them and make them feel comfortable in your booth!

5. Have often sales and promotions in your booth. Mark down your items every month, that way people will save your booth and come back again!

6. Make sure to clear out your chat box every day, that way it doesn’t stay cluttered up, and believe me, it’s not appealing when a chat box is full!

And lastly, make sure that you have organized booth categories! The last thing you want a buyer to do is skip your booth and go to the next, so try and make your booth a HAVEN and an appealing place to shop

♥ If any of you have any other tips or comments, they are much appreciated! ♥

Digital Designs and More

If anyone else has something they would like to share please feel free to add it here.

Digital Designs and More

if your items are not showing in google search you need to check your settings in the edit item page.

Go to My Bonanza , click on Edit item, click on the Advanced Options tab at the top of the page, then look down the list to the 4th option down, it should say NO, if it doesn’t click on edit and change it to yes. Next click on the tab that says Add items for sale, and update booth. Allow up to 48 hrs for your items to show in google shopping.

Digital Designs and More

Are YOU set up to sell outside the USA? For sellers wanting to sell to Canada or other International.
Read this discussion
http://www.bonanza.com/forums/9/topics/132959?page=1#posts-1912329

Digital Designs and More

Posted by tgbrown72, . 19 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Thanks so much. You provided so much information that I didnt know.

Posted by mjscountrytreasures, Ellington, CT. 132 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

I am new at this and there is a lot of information that I will be putting to good use. Thank you for taking the time to inform all of us.

Posted by chill02wolfart, . 10,174 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

It’s EXCELLENT info for us all! STILL learning, and I’ve been here over a year Thank you very much for this valuable info!

Posted by CherylAnnsVintage, Selma, Alabama. 2 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

I am new to Bonanza also. Thank you for taking time to help with some very important facts. I am going right now and try out what I have learned.

There are some great information facts, and suggestions, which has been added by the old timers, to help others so they get the maximum benefit of this venue.
Just listing your products isn’t going to do it, you really need to take what information you learn, and put it to good use.

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed, and who will contribute to this discussion, to help others along their way to making the most out of their booths here.

Digital Designs and More

Posted by Abbysantiques, Prescott, , AZ. 245 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Bump and welcome!

Abbystreasures' booth

Posted by Abbysantiques, Prescott, , AZ. 245 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Bump and welcome!

Abbystreasures' booth

This outta be Bumped again

Posted by MyTexasTreasures, Houston, TX. 5,724 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

“Go to My Bonanza , click on Edit item, click on the Advanced Options tab at the top of the page, then look down the list to the 4th option down, it should say NO, if it doesn’t click on edit and change it to yes. Next click on the tab that says Add items for sale, and update booth. Allow up to 48 hrs for your items to show in google shopping.”

I am confused about this. Do I want to change it to yes ?

It seems the instructions state that changing it from no to yes will supress google search. So that I understand, yes will sumbit items to google and no will not?
thanks!

MyTexasTreasures' booth

MtTexas, I believe the Caption you’re referring to is “Suppress Items to Google Product Search” (I just checked; I have mine set for NO). This means that you WANT Bonanza to send your items to Google Products (Google Shopping); you do NOT want them Suppressed. If it’s set to YES, it will prevent your items from being sent.

However, if you were to sell the EXACT item on another site (or sites), Google Products does not like “duplicates”. So, that is the only reason you would want to click YES for that Box (unless you prefer to suppress your items on a different site. If you don’t sell the same item on more than 1 site, leave that box checked NO.

Also, I believe this only applies to Google Products (NOT Google Organic). Someone please jump in.

Hope this helps you, MyTexas

Bonanza has a feature the other venues may not have. It is the quick text. You will see in the bottom right corner of your screen, a small set of icons Like this.

If you do not see those icons, you can turn them on, by going into your account settings
Click on Account settings

Next click on the Other Options tab, to turn it on, or off which ever you need to do, then click update.

When you have received a quick text from someone it will pop up, and you will have the option to reply

If you have had a quick text and lost it, just click on that first icon that looks like a folder then you will see the box pop up again, click on view

If you look just above that you will see a red X, that is to close the quick text window

If you click view, then you will have the option to reply, delete or more options

Digital Designs and More

Posted by Calcedonia, Brooklyn, NY. 2,856 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

This was an amazing article.

Calcedonia's booth

Glad you like the information here

Digital Designs and More

Posted by Angel23, Winnipeg, Canada. 336 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Just bumping this post up. Absolutely important info for all to know (even for those of us who have been here a while.)
Thanks to Alilbirdy and Mom’s Pennies -your posts are always so full of info and helpful to us all It’s much appreciated

Posted by ehdegray, Hawaii. 106 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Here’s a really simple thing you can do to come up better on Google. Once you have decided what keyword(s) you will use in your item title, be sure to rename your photos to include the keywords. You can do this while you are posting your ad, just by highlighting the photo you want to upload, and click on “rename” in the options menu. So if your item title is say, ladies size 6x blue widget with long neck", you can put “ladies blue widget” as the photo title. Then just load it like always. Is it worth going back and changing all your photos? Probably not. But I learned to make it a habit, and do it for all new listings, and if I’m revamping an ad. Easy-peasy.

Posted by happiejacky, Metairie, Suburb of New Orleans, LA. 249 total posts | Posted almost 4 years ago

Thanks, Alibirdy2. You’re so good at keeping us informed.

happiejacky's booth
Page
1 2 3 4 >